How To Practice Better Self-Care
One part of self-care that is vital is tending to your emotional and mental needs. Even though it is wonderful to care for others by devoting some of your resources, you can only be your best when you prioritize your well-being. Let me share with you ten ways practice better self-care by boosting and improving your energy and happiness.
10 Tips for Better Self-Care
1. Learn how to say “No”. You can certainly make personal gains by trying new things and making friends, but know when you should decline an offer. If you do not have the chance to ever process anything that happens, you will be so busy that you will begin to burn out. Remember, you can reschedule certain social events, so be sure to review your schedule to decide whether or not you have time to do something.
2. Love your body! Every person has something they don’t like about their body. Start focusing on what draws the most compliments by thinking about how others see you and think about you. For example, some people might praise you on your long legs or your bright eyes. Be mindful about the things that have served you well in regards to your image and body - Perhaps it has allowed you to have children, play sports or explore wonderful and beautiful places.
3. Turn your attention to the present. One of the best and most effective ways of connecting with the present moment is by meditating, however you can do anything that will keep you focused on your present-moment experiences such as savoring your food, watching a sun-set, or going for a light jog.
4. Pay attention to seasonal shifts. Your mental health is strongly influenced by the weather. During the fall, for instance, taking a walk through the park might make you relaxed and reflective, while taking the same walk during the winter months can make you feel miserable and freezing cold. Certain activities that are great for the winter and chilly days include book reading by a candlight, making a drink of decadent hot chocolate or soaking in a long bubble bath.
5. Make space for laughter! Self-care practice doesn’t have to be a serious and terrible endeavor! Laughing can promote endorphin production which helps you feel good and helps you get rid of stress. Look for your favorite TV shows or movies that always gave you a good laugh, spend time with the people who are witty and know how to make you laugh and NEVER be too proud to giggle at yourself too!
6. Take vacation when you can. Many individuals make it very difficult for themselves to take time from their career because their self-worth tends to intimately be connected with work performance. However, did you know that people may feel low and poorly perform after working too hard for too long? Seize the opportunity to do truly relaxing things when you have that chance to of taking a vacation!
7. Enjoy a massage. I know that it works wonders on your body and mind by having a massage, whether you take advantage of booking a spa appointment or the skilled hands of your partner. Having a massage, so luxurious and relaxing for those tight muscles is a way of acknowledging that you are worth being taken care of. Be certain to ask the salon or spa for the best and most calming treatment they can offer you!
8. Know that you are intrinsically valuable. No matter what others think of you, your true value can be difficult for you to acknowledge. Do not define your worth by what you do to help other people. Always keep in mind that other people's reactions that are negative will mostly say much more about the person who is being judgmental towards you rather than your own character. Try to view their comments in the context of insecurities of themselves when someone is trying to make you feel terrible or says something that is hurtful.
9. Make time to reflect on your inner life. If you have already enjoyed keeping a diary or journal then you already make reflection time for yourself, but it is smart to double-check to ensure that you are in touch with your personal needs. A brief ten minutes can help you to think about your true feelings, and reviewing your day can help you to better care for yourself as well as make sense of your daily experiences.
10. Prioritize your passions. Lastly, a self-care technique that is vital includes making your passions an everyday part of your life. When you have a busy life, I know it can be easy to let interests and hobbies slide, but do yourself a favor, and set aside some time each week to focus on your most inspiring passions, and don’t let ANYTHING fill the space of your favorite pursuits!
This is one of the #1 most comprehensive Psychology Books ever written, and it's free on Kindle (Get a copy, because it's like a Masters Degree wrapped-up into a single book). However, I recommend that you upgrade to the Print edition, because that copy comes with images.
Long Distance Friendships
Venus & Mars: Men & Women
How to Leave Your Dead End Job
Discover Your Multiple Intelligences
Bring Your Sexual Passion To The Bedroom
Stress Relief & Relaxation Techniques
Depression: Just Take Advil & Aleve?
Can Meditation Help With Anxiety & Depression?
Can Meditation Treat Anxiety and Depression Better Than Meds?
Tapping into Your Spirituality Can Ease Your Stress
Reducing Your Stress: Finding Peace and Relaxation Through Meditation
MDMA (Ecstacy): A New Treatment for Depression and PTSD
Meditation for Anxiety
Mindfulness Meditation & Cognitive Therapy for Depression
Meditation is Not Enough: A Buddhist Perspective
Magic Mushrooms: Effective For Treating Depression?
The 4 Pillars of Emotional Intelligence