How To Achieve Happiness (Part 2)
Firstly, if you are looking into personal development, personality type, or psychological state management, you need to take a look at our free MP3 designed to 'tune' your brainwaves. To get it, click here.
Happiness is formally defined as: the quality or state of being happy; good fortune; pleasure; contentment; joy. But defining personal happiness is an individual perception. We all want to be happy, but defining it for ourselves is a challenge and obtaining it can be a greater problem.
Human beings are always seeking ways to be happy. Sometimes there are healthy ways to achieve happiness such as exercise, eating right, having friends, having family, having a good job, or engaging in a an activity that you really like. Sometimes, humans engage in activities that might seem like they would bring happiness, but they are harmful or destructive such as using alcohol, drugs or other risk taking behaviors. It is important to have a true sense of overall happiness in life means engaging in activities that are healthy for you. The following are simple and healthy ways to add happiness to your life:
20 Ways To Boost Your Happiness:
1. Accept imperfection: When you accept flaws, it decreases unrealistic expectations on yourself and of others.
2. Know how to laugh at yourself: it is ok to make mistakes and smile or laugh about it
3. Have realistic expectations of others: Remember that we are all human and all make mistakes
4. Appreciate who you are: Acknowledge your strengths and weaknesses. You are unique.
5. Have dreams and goals: They both give you direction
6. Have an emotional support animal: Giving love to an animal and receiving love from an animal can help lift your mood and give you motivation. Pets can have an amazing impact on having happiness in your life
7. Have a support system: Have family, friends, neighbors or coworkers as part of your support system. They can be there for you in both good and bad times.
8. Use your support system: A positive support system can help give you comfort and support when there are difficult circumstances.
9. Acknowledge your successes: It is important to identify even small steps of success
10. Have a positive relationship with money: Understand that money can’t buy you happiness, but it can help keep you balanced.
11. Live life simply: Take out unnecessary complications and drama in your life
12. Time management: Having the ability to manage time keeps your life organized and a way to find happiness
13. Try new experiences: try something you have been interested in like going to a play or opera, or try something that recently has got your interest. Trying new experiences helps you to explore new opportunities
14. Look for small personal growth opportunities: Even small steps to improving your happiness will keep you motivated to continue to seek other opportunities.
15. Live in the moment: It allows you to focus on the here and now and not get dragged down by regret and shame. When you live in the moment you can enjoy moments of happiness as they occur.
16. Have a hobby: Pick back up a hobby or activity that you used to love but somehow got away from, or try something you have always wanted to try. Do not be fearful of failure, but rather embrace the opportunity to experience something fun and new.
17. Make time for fun: The saying,” All work and no play….” Is very real. When you do not take time for pleasure, you run the risk of burning out and having a feeling of unhappiness due to stress and being overwhelmed. Do something enjoyable, even for a few minutes everyday.
18. Learn to relax: Meditation and relaxation techniques are important to learn. When you know how to relax, it can keep you physically and emotionally balanced, which leads to happiness
19. Love yourself: Have a good sense of self esteem. Keep yourself esteem up by doing self help books or workbooks or even professional counseling. When you have a sense of self worth it gives you a foundation for seeking personal growth and happiness.
20. Find your balance: Maintaining a sense of balance in your life areas helps you to achieve all of the tips listed above. The seven life areas are: physical, emotional, social, financial, career or school, family , social and spiritually. When you have a problem in one life are, the other life areas may have issues as well. For example, if you are having financial problems, you may also have problems in your physical and emotional life areas as well. Keeping a balance in all the areas help to achieve personal growth and happiness.
- Kim B,
Speak with a Coach
Speak with a Coach