Discover Your Multiple Intelligences
The new scientific theory that there is more than one type of intelligence could be good news for many. Albeit it could also be very overwhelming, like everything else it seems as if there are too many choices these days - Which intelligence to use? This is probably the reason why there are so many cases of depression and anxiety in the healthcare and pharmaceutical business. This article will attempt to break it down in the hope that you will soon discover where your true intelligence quotient lies.
It is safe to say that the best way to find your true purpose in life is to find yourself, and this is why so many struggle and make life seem so hard. The types of people who never found themselves may be educated in the academic or streetsmart sense, but they never really discovered who they really are or what they want out of life. This can contribute to the many health problems we see people dealing with in society where cases of depression, anxiety, and drug/alcohol addiction are on the rise. With so many people living on government welfare these days, it is easy for some people to interpret the "lost" types as lazy. However, this is not the case with the vast majority of the working poor or the unemployed. In the United States we live in a market-driven economy and many people don’t have the skills to keep up. How did this happen? These people made it through childhood, school, and most of their chosen adult careers without really discovering who they really were and what they really wanted out of life. In short, they never got to know the person in the mirror. They are not living a very abundant life of purpose and peace. This is the underlying issue of many stress related physical illnesses as well as the mental health issues of anger, anxiety, and depression.
The Many Types of Intelligence
So what are the different forms of intelligence? This article will look at eight of them, and it’s safe to say that everyone is a latent genius in at least one form of intelligence or another. The traditional IQ tests only measure cognitive ability: spatial visualization, verbal fluency, and mathematical skill, but this is not a complete assessment. This is why people who don’t score high in these areas are seen as average or low intelligence. Nothing can make you have a lower sense of self-worth than seeing yourself as having an "average" or even "low" intelligence. A sense of low self-worth leads to the despair that is found in major depression cases and can create a sense of purposelessness, which saps the joy out of live.
1. Visual/Spatial: A person with Visual/Spatial intelligence is highly visual. People with this type of IQ can have fulfilling jobs as a navigator, architect, or in art as a sculptor.
2. Nature: For those with intelligence in the Naturalist area, there are careers in farming or as an environmentalist or even a botanist.
3. Logical/Mathematical: Then you have the Logical/Mathematical type who gravitate toward jobs as engineers or accountants and computer programmers.
4. Social: Interpersonal intelligence has to do with being a people person or a negotiator; someone who is people oriented and is likely to have a career in sales, management, or politics. Intrapersonal on the other hand are people who are more sensitive to feelings and likely to be a novelist or a counselor, or even a social worker/case manager.
5. Physical: A person who can use their body is said to have a bodily/kinesthetic intelligence. These people will either become dancers, athletes or firefighters and other civil service jobs such as police officers.
6. Language: A verbal/linguistic IQ will lean towards being a journalist, teacher or a lawyer.
7. Musical: A musical/rhythmic will have a career as a music teacher, disc jockey, record producer, or a composer.
8. Existential: Then you have the existentialist. These types are usually negative doom & gloom type conspiracy theorists who philosophize everything and only see negative. They usually aren’t very popular and overly booksmart which is why they overanalyze everything. These types are more likely to struggle with depression because of their negative worldview. A hellfire and brimstone protestant preacher may also fall into this category.
That’s just eight forms of intelligences, and most people have more than just one strength. Also, just because you don’t fall into a category doesn’t mean you can’t develop a skill. If you are passionate about something you can learn how to do anything - All you need is the motivation to do so. The linguistic and musical careers usually pay the least when compared to the ones dealing with analytics and spatial abilities. This is why people that don’t score high on IQ tests, which only test for cognitive thinking ability, tend to downplay themselves as not being very smart. This inhibits your sense of self-worth and can contribute to a lack of purpose and confidence that is found in cases of anxiety and depression, and even anger issues. Doesn’t it make you feel empowered to realize that all you have to do is find out which form, or form of intelligence you possess? You can be entrepreneurial with anything since that is all about finding and/or creating opportunities. You don’t have to make lots of money to be intelligent but may end up doing so anyway when you throw yourself into something that you are passionate about. This is especially good to know since half of these intelligences don’t necessarily lead to higher paying jobs anyway.
Maybe educating ourselves as to who we really are will do more than depression medicine ever could. It can empower us enough to pursue our passion. There is also emotional intelligence but that is another article entirely.
- Erwin Bishop
STOP Depression and Anxiety
with the #1 most powerful Meditation Programs available on the web. Click Here to get your free sample.
STOP Depression & Anxiety
Get the #1
Long Distance Friendships
Venus & Mars: Men & Women
How to Leave Your Dead End Job
Discover Your Multiple Intelligences
Bring Your Sexual Passion To The Bedroom
Stress Relief & Relaxation Techniques
Depression: Just Take Advil & Aleve?
Can Meditation Help With Anxiety & Depression?
Can Meditation Treat Anxiety and Depression Better Than Meds?
Tapping into Your Spirituality Can Ease Your Stress
Reducing Your Stress: Finding Peace and Relaxation Through Meditation
MDMA (Ecstacy): A New Treatment for Depression and PTSD
Meditation for Anxiety
Mindfulness Meditation & Cognitive Therapy for Depression
Meditation is Not Enough: A Buddhist Perspective
Magic Mushrooms: Effective For Treating Depression?
The 4 Pillars of Emotional Intelligence
STOP Depression & Anxiety . . . Click for the #1
Free Meditation Program